Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

back and forth

on monday, i had my second interview to be the staff accountant at a technology company. the job sounds interesting and like i could actually get a lot out of it. i like the company and the people who interviewed me. and then i rushed from there to my last night taking pictures of dogs (utterly boring).

yesterday morning, right before my flight, i got an email back from a screenplay competition that my script, if i made some minor changes, would be a finalist. so my heart raced and i sat confused because i finally was ready to have a normal job and income and stop daydreaming about being a writer and all of that and cowboy just kept saying, "i knew it...this is awesome." and we both know that this will lead to my questioning everything i've chosen to do with my career once again.

but then i had to stop thinking about that because i had to catch a flight to spend the week with my wonderful great aunt liz.

firstly, i flew to charlotte and then sat on the tarmac for an hour while they "cleared up the emergency" at newark. when it cleared (whatever it was), we took off and my sister came in from manhattan and we had dinner at the tony romas in the airport. then my aunt liz arrived. we found her a wheelchair to take her around the airport and were dropped again at tony romas.

my sister ordered wine.

my aunt liz asked for soup. they only had baked potato soup, which my sister promised would be really good. aunt liz also ordered a vodka tonic. when the food arrived, my aunt liz said to my sister, "you're right. this is thick." and then for the rest of the day referred to it as "that craaaaazy soup."

we had bloody mary's on the flight and then mr. porter (our porter) picked us up in tulsa and drove us to kansas. he's a retired pharmacist with a personality to match and i had to fight to keep from passing out in the van.

we arrived late. and tired. and "a little high...but in a good way," as my aunt said.

we have separate rooms, but aunt liz asked me to stay with her last night since it was so late and it was a new place, and i agreed without much thought.

while i found an old steven spielberg film on television, she took her time in the ladies room and unpacked and an hour and a half later she finally laid down. she tossed and turned and i don't think either of us got more than four hours of sleep.

we're meeting some friends for a luncheon soon and then my task for the day is to find some vodka, but without asking for vodka "so people don't think ill of us." my aunt said it's better to ask for a place to buy wine and to find "those little things i like so much. laura - what are they?"

"werther's."

"that's right. laura...you know everything."

i just checked on her in her room and she asked me to open a window for her. i did and she said, "laura, is there nothing you can't do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment