Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Monday, April 19, 2010

back in town

went to a film festival in south carolina over the weekend. on saturday night i got really drunk on four glasses of wine over about five hours (cheap date) while attending a robot party. but it was pretty awesome because it seemed to be the most incestuous festival i've ever known:
-a film i worked on last summer was in it
-my brother's showed
-my brother's close friend (who worked with my brother on his film) had a film there
-one short film took place at a little grocery store in branford, ct, that just so happens to be the shop i am sent to every time i go to connecticut to see my great aunts because 'it's just a nice little place, isn't it laura? and don't you just love the cheeses they have? and laura dear, remember to get some ice cream - do you want some ice CRReam? pick out a good flavor. something new maybe. sister, do you have any ideas about what we need at caron's corner - isn't that a charming little name? i love that place. it's our grocery, i suppose.'
-two filmmakers live/lived in asheville (where i once lived)
-one guy went to grade school in my home town

...okay, this doesn't seem like that much, but this is only regarding three features and four shorts (i couldn't attend the entire festival).

but i'm back. somehow though, and i can't put my finger on it, it made me never want to be on a film set ever again. maybe it's the exhaustion of the weekend that's playing into it, or watching our film, or anything else. but there was one film there that was amazing - it magically felt like the camera accidentally caught the story on tape. and it made our film look staged and theatrical.

spent a weekend that should probably be inspiring, but actually made me rethink my life...again.

yay.

6 comments:

  1. I miss you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to applaud the Nick and Nora quotes at the top of the page. We should have a Thin Man party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we should have a thin man party!!!! gen-ius!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen The Thin Man. Can I come too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's one of the best films and continuous series evah! you have to come.

    ReplyDelete