Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

pecking order

the new fad here in hicktown, as you may have guessed, is chickens.

apparently, my neighbors are all about staying cool so two of them (behind and beside) have decided to purchase a flock to live in the comforts of their converted garages - one of which is disturbingly close to my living quarters.

high-larious.

don't get me wrong, i'm not completely against nature. i love willa cather novels and hope i'd make a good pioneer woman who can identify every plant and tree by its leaf and do any number of nimble tasks with freakishly gnarled fingers. hell, i even love plunging my hands in the dirt to start a garden every year. and when i visit friends on their farm i love it - i love the whole 'fresh egg, walkin the cows, findin kittens in the loft' thing. but somehow, this seems a smidge invasive. see, in daily life, i'm not exactly out-doorsy and i'm certainly not someone who loves the smell of...life (and by 'life' i mean animal feces).

so who knows what this will turn into. maybe it'll be completely normal where i won't even notice the stench or clucking - kind of like i don't always hear the church bells or the train pass by. and maybe i'll even be completely charmed by one and name it delilah and this sweet lil thing will change my life.

or not.

on a related note, i'm looking into getting a pet fox.

2 comments:

  1. I think I know your neighbors (because that is required of living in hicktown). Seriously. I think one of them must be my son's teacher. Steal me an egg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Butchertown a neighbor had a rooster. There's nothing less useful in the city than a rooster.

    ReplyDelete