Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Friday, August 3, 2012

dress for success...or something

i used to care about the way i looked. i fell asleep thinking up what i would wear the next day. i spent hours at thrift stores buying odd pieces and then, because i somehow had the time and space for this, i got out my sewing machine and hemmed, ripped, and created beautiful clothes.

and then i found myself in an office environment and i started caring less and sadly, just like every other person who spends their days stuck in a cubicle, i looked forward to wearing jeans on casual day like it was the second coming of christ.

but at this fair temp job, casual day only rolls around once a month for some reason, and on all the other days i can't get myself to care a snit about what i wear. when i began temping again and faced countless days ahead sitting in a beige environment, i spent about thirty minutes at a thrift store buying clothes that fit (that was the only requirement) and have suffered with my reflection ever since. for instance, today i have on a stained, old wool yellow cardigan (a hand-me-down from the grandmother of my neighbor who died a year ago), a blue button-up top that insists on pulling at my boobs, and a pair of maroonish brown men's l.l.bean trousers that make my butt look big with legs that are about five inches too short. and, of course, my boots. it's really an unattractive look.

really unattractive.

and i want to care. i daydream about wearing jewelry with my outfits and not the same old, dreary pair of old pants everyday and combing my hair and looking like the adult i supposedly am. and i want to dress better because of that saying, 'dress for the job you want, not the job you have.' but what exactly is the job that i want?

No comments:

Post a Comment