Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Saturday, March 13, 2010

days gone by

i quit my temp job in new york and started working with special needs children. it was completely different because the work reacted to life instead of going on despite it. and it made me get out of my own head. i realized that sometimes it was nice to have priorities that didn't directly affect my own person. and even if there were bad days, there were many many many many many more good ones.

i remembered that today as i babysat for a six year-old little girl. and it was great. it was a quiet morning of laziness on a sofa and a loud afternoon of stories and dancing.

because of multiple strokes at birth, she has great difficulty using her right hand and her speech is not very developed. and the highlight of my day (or maybe week) was watching her slowly and methodically grasp a door handle, turn it, and open a door.

it's interesting and just made me stop and think for a moment and wonder if it might be a glimpse at something in my future, or maybe just a nice reminder of my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment