Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

harold...it's a present

watched part of 'harold and maude' last night.

this was the first film my mother took me to see in a theater when i was about six. we never watched children's films or disney flicks or anything like that (actually, my aunt and uncle took me to see pinocchio around the same time and it freaked the shit out of me). but i've always wondered if it was a conscious decision by my mother to take me to this specific film, or if it was simply that it happened to be playing within walking distance at an old art house theater and she just wanted an afternoon break - either way, it had an impact.

because of her and that one afternoon, i now find films like 'harold and maude,' 'hoosiers,''malcolm,' and 'tootsie' as comforting and familiar as my grandmother's quilts.

2 comments:

  1. My parents did the same thing. They took me to see "Body Heat" when I was 11. It had an impact.

    ReplyDelete