Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Monday, March 1, 2010

secret ambition

my secret goal in life is to be a character on 'law & order' - not an actor on the show, mind you, but one of the characters.

i want to (in a last-minute and unapproved decision) go undercover as a wealthy upper eastside woman and follow a lead into a bodega in spanish harlem where i have to dodge empty cardboard boxes thrown at me and finally tackle a kid on the run and read him his rights en espanol.
i want to sit in the interrogation room with a sexist perp and my partner who feigns misogyny to coax out a confession, and just to make it really realistic he yells at me, 'i bet you're on the rag you man-hating b@*!h!' (it's all an act because my partner and i are so in sync.)

and then, because i'm tough, the captain threatens to take my badge - i'm way too passionate and cross the line too often (and kind of break the law on a regular basis), but then he says he'd do the same thing if he were in my shoes.

and then when i finally get a chance to go home, after what seems like seven sleepless nights, i grab my jacket from my locker and exchange borderline witticisms with my colleagues just as a nameless cop runs in to tell us that an escaped junkie shot someone in the lobby. - and it starts all over again.

that's the life.

and, i think, a lofty aspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment