Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Thursday, July 15, 2010

language lover

i've never been good at learning another language.  i took two semesters of german in college and left class knowing how to say 'i have a question,' 'i have a headache,' 'i am excited,' 'i love germany,' and the numbers 1-9.

on my recent trip to argentina i tried to pair up my completely lacking spanish skills with my genius ability at charades to converse with the young man at the front desk of our hotel.  as it so  happened i had a headache (and the irony that i know how to say this in german is not lost on me).
i strolled up to the front desk and said 'hola' and then i made an angry face and shook my arms and pointed at my head and said 'casa.'  
he stared blankly.  
i did this again.  
again, blank stare.  
i repeated 'casa, casa, casa' jabbing at my head and trying to look sad. 
and then he asked simply, 'do you need an aspirin?'
yeah, soooooooooooo, along with feeling like an ass, i got the aspirin and further belief in my ability at charades...and yes, i am aware that 'casa' means house, but at the time it was the only word i could get out - and i thought i was saying 'head.'

so when i saw an ad on craigslist today for an 'Italian speaking female travelling companion,' i was yet again frustrated over my lack of language skills...
We are in need of an attractive female for travel to Italy and France for 2 weeks next summer. Must be fluent in Italian/English and possibly French. Your role will be to function as an interpreter. All expenses paid, plus negotiable compensation. We are a large family, and so must feel comfortable dealing with a variety of personalities.
ugh!  why why why why why?! why didn't i learn italian?  why didn't i spend all those lost years of my twenties learning a foreign language?  ugh!  

wait...why do they specify 'attractive'?

2 comments:

  1. I think this might have been posted by a McPoyle. http://itsalwayssunny.wikia.com/wiki/McPoyles

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've only watched that program a couple times, but i love that photo.

    ReplyDelete