Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Thursday, July 29, 2010

schoolmarm

i have been asked to teach in a one-room schoolhouse.

seriously.

we have family friends who home school their three children on their farm...their extremely old-fashioned farm. they don't have a tractor, they have a mule and a thingy pulled by the mule. they can food for the winter and make their own cheese and crazy shit like that. and behind their house, wooden planks hover above the mud and lead you to a really, really old one-room schoolhouse (wood-burning stove included).

someone already comes in to teach history once a week, and music, i think, and now they've asked me to be the english teacher...or writing...or something in that regard (clearly, i'm a master of the language).

and I’m insanely excited about it.

why, you may ask...well, i shall tell you.

for the majority of my youth and into my adulthood, i was obsessed (and 'obsessed' puts it mildly) with 'anne of green gables.' and so even though it's 2010 and i'll be wearing jeans and old clogs most days when i head up there, this is how i picture myself in my new found career...


4 comments:

  1. You will be Miss Stacy! Or even an old goooooooozzzzeberry like Katherine Brooke! This sounds fucking incredible.

    Really, I was sold at "homemade cheese." You gotta get you some of that shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't believe the teacher should be the one who asks all the questions.

    -and i've tried the cheese and it is gooooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me they do their lessons on slates. PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes. i hope anne doesn't smash it over gilbert's head.

    ReplyDelete