Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Thursday, February 18, 2010

multiple personalities

yet again, spent my morning pouring over craigslist and its offerings and found an ad in the 'film/television' section for an 'independent contractor.' wonderful. have no idea what that actually might mean or what the job could possibly entail, but it sounds somewhat (ambiguously) promising. so i clicked over to my email to send out my resume.

here's the thing. i have four resumes. four.

1. my 'writing' resume lists the screenplays i've written that have been produced (that no one has heard of and will probably never make it to the light of day), plays i wrote (in college), and the (few) publications that have come my way.

2. then there's the 'filmmaking' resume which i've decided to make as minimalistic as possible. i've worked on enough projects in film and television to at least have a resume, but i never really know how to list everything without seeming like an over-reaching amateur.

3. my 'acting' resume shows that i have somewhat of a serious background in this profession (see: my undergraduate degree), but this really ain't my thing anymore. i keep it just in case something comes up and actually that has happened lately. i hear of something going on and submit the ol' headshot and resume. and if i were 25, this resume would be pretty kick ass - but i'm not 25. and so, logically, it is not 'kick ass.' it's kind of sad that it's virtually looked the same for the past five years.

4. and then, last and yes least, comes my 'office' resume. all the shit i've ever done gets piled onto this pathetic word document. i've cleaned it up so i don't appear too psychotic or like i'm on the run from the law. the problem is that this is the only resume where i have to actually list dates. for the others, it's all about the work accomplished. that's it. the end. i made a film and put it on my resume and anyone can see it (except that they really can't because i don't have a copy). but for the strange world of working in an office, i can't produce a pile of spreadsheets to show for it so i have to embarrassingly list the (very little) time spent at every godawful place. - the pain is all too real.

in the end, i sent the 'film' resume and mentioned that i have a background in accounting/business in case the job might require a bit of both. i could have sent two separate resumes to show that i can do it all (all not included), but that's when i feel like a misplaced goon. and i guess i could always blame them and their inability to specify job requirements, but instead i just asked for more information. haven't heard anything yet. so...

i've wondered for a long time if i shouldn't somehow compile all this crap into one sturdy cv. but first, i can't see how it would all fit, and second, well, ugh, it just sounds like an annoying attempt at cohesiveness.

1 comment:

  1. Resumes depress me to no end. Nothing like reducing yourself to one side of one sheet of paper. I do a skills resume and group like stuff together then list dates of service at the end. It has gotten me several jobs - none that have stuck, but the hiring went well. Craigslist spooks me. I could use contract or freelance work right about now, but I swear I get more depressed perusing the Craigslist than looking at my bank account.

    ReplyDelete