Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Saturday, February 27, 2010

need a confirmation

went to my niece's confirmation last night. i haven't been to mass in a while and when i went up to communion, i waved to my niece and turned back to the priest who held, you know, the body of christ in his hand and, well, i blanked. completely blanked. nine years of catholic school and the simplest thing eluded me. so i stared at him for a very long confusing moment and said the only thing i could think of...'thanks.'

eh.

but looking at the young, naive kids getting confirmed, i thought about my own confirmation and the service hours i did, which mostly consisted of working with special needs children. strangely enough the many (one) aptitude tests i took in my youth always pointed me in the direction of working with children, but i was determined to be an actress and despised anything that dared say i should be anything else.

i guess in some way i'm glad that i listened to myself - no matter how stubborn and obstinate and just plain annoying i was - instead of letting an outside voice tell me what to do.

aaaaaand, who's a hypocrite. it's me. true. but, i've come to this conclusion: listening to myself has gotten me this far, so let's give the other a go for a while. seriously, how bad could it be? (time lapse - really bad)

3 comments:

  1. Holding the "you know, body of Christ" may be one of the funniest things I've read in a while. And for what it's worth, if you'd enjoy it, I can see you working with kids. I never, NEVER thought i'd teach even though it's what everyone assumed I'd do, so when I did it for the first time, with elementary level kids, I realized how hilarious they are. Plus, kids look up to any adult who pays attention to them, and that, my dear, is a nice career perk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the vote of confidence. i'm actually looking into it. we shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your communion story is my favorite thing ever. SSL. But really, isn't 'thanks' a more appropriate response? It is his body and blood, after all. A little gratitude would be nice.

    ReplyDelete