Miss Kubelik, one doesn't get to be a second administrative assistant around here unless he's a pretty good judge of character, and as far as I'm concerned you're tops. I mean, decency-wise and otherwise-wise.

- C. C. Baxter, The Apartment

Sunday, February 7, 2010

when i grow up i want to be a...

i woke up this morning and decided to take a proactive step in my future, so, obviously, the first thing i did was take a (free) career aptitude test online. it wasn't until i was on question 77 that i realized that there were a total of 485, so i braced myself and continued.

for every question i had to decide whether the statement was
very inaccurate, not like me at all
moderately inaccurate, not like me
neither accurate or inaccurate
moderately accurate, like me
very accurate, much like me

some of the statements seemed obvious like 'take control of situations,' and 'like solving difficult problems.' but then others weren't so easy, like:
radiate joy - why not
express childlike joy - in what way?
try not to think about the needy - umm...
do improper things - not since i left london in 1922
make a mess of things - physically no, emotionally yes
sympathize with the homeless - eh, sometimes
let people pull my leg - what?
use my brain - ?

but i really wanted to see the results, so i answered as honestly as i could. and after filtering through and disregarding the multiple pages of ads, i finally reached them.

first, in the summation, it states, 'by the time you are 30 years old, your personality will be fairly set, so it is wise to make changes before that age if you can' (i'm 32). following this was an entire paragraph telling me that we all can't be winners, using a baseball metaphor and if that wasn't clear, stating 'if we were all leaders and none of us followers "we would have too many chiefs and not enough indians."'

my lowest score was in sociability and my highest scores were pleasantness and tranquility. i scored high in marketing, international activities, and animal care, and low in religious studies. and according to my profile, it looks like i would be 'well suited for a production position.'

so what is the specific career that's right for me and my personality?

YOUR TOP 3 IDEAL JOBS

We have compiled based on your personality profile the top 3 jobs most suited to you:

1. Funeral director

2. Forest and conservation technicians

3. Chemical engineer


funeral director: supervise embalming and cremation activities and funeral services. empathize with grieving relatives.
forest and conservation technicians: work under the direction of scientists to assist in the understanding and solution of problems related to conservation of forests and related resources, such as birds and fish.
chemical engineer: apply principles of advanced chemistry to develop and oversee the use of chemicals in a wide range of applications, such as cleaning solvents, paints, oil products, fuels, cosmetics and food products.

these vary slightly from the career path i've been on...

No comments:

Post a Comment